Please note before reading: I wrote this draft before the first round of the playoffs so, obviously, Denver won’t be selecting at that spot so all the picks down the line are also affected.
Also Ryan Tannehill’s and Nick Toon’s injury will undoubtedly hurt their draft stocks but this was written before that but that will be reflected in the next version of the draft.
1. Indianapolis Colts – Andrew Luck QB Stanford
Jim Irsay wants Luck and Peyton I don’t think the GM is going to be able to convince him otherwise. Its unfortunate that the Colts have a great opportunity to really help their franchise and the owner chooses the wrong time to be pig headed.
2. St. Louis Rams – Justin Blackmon WR Ok State – The Rams fire everyone with the exception of Josh McDaniels somehow having one of if not the worst offense in the league isn’t enough to get fired from his job. But I digress I know that the addition of Brandon Lloyd makes the need for a top flight WR more of a neglectable one but having a young franchise QB adding this kind of weapon can resurrect a stagnant offense.
3. Minnesota Vikings – Matt Kalil OT USC – The LT position has proven to be a huge need since Bryant McKinnie left for Baltimore right now they are in a great position to grab the best LT in the Draft in Kalil.
4. Cleveland Browns – Robert Griffin III QB Baylor – Lets face it Colt McCoy isn’t the future in Cleveland this pick may end up being a trade, but if it isn’t , they will have their QB of the future the question is will Pat Shurmer be able to design an offense to fit Griffin’s abilities if he can the Browns could be a very dangerous team going forward.
5. Tampa Bay Bucs – Morris Claiborne CB LSU – The secondary of the Bucs is constantly in trouble off the field this isn’t good. Getting a high character CB with great talent really will help that secondary.
6. Washington Redskins – Ryan Tannehill QB Texas AM – I think the leash is getting really short for Mike Shanahan can he really go into next season with Rex Grossman at the helm? This is an enormous reach for Tannehill but just like Ponder he is the last passable starting QB and could get a real boost after the senior bowl forcing Washington to reach on a QB.
7. Jacksonville Jags – Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame – The Gabbert experiment started horribly right now they are stuck with Gabbert for at least another year. The WR situation in Jacksonville is the worst in the league bar none. They really wish Blackmon could fall here but Floyd isn’t a bad consolation.
8. Miami Dolphins – Riley Reiff, T, Iowa – Jeff Ireland is somewhat predicatable as a GM look at the top three needs for the Dolphins take the best player in one of those needs. Right now the Phins would love one of those top 3 QBs to fall to them and I expect after a disappointing season Landry Jones will return to school for another chance to boost his draft stock that means QB is out. Jake Long is one of the best in the league but the Tackle position on the other side could use some help.
9. Carolina Panthers – Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama – The Panthers have a pair of good pass rushers outside of that the Panthers have problems in almost every other position on the defensive side of the ball. Dre Kirkpatrick is a very good corner and should help the Panthers immediately.
10. Buffalo Bills – Jonathan Martin, T, Stanford – This is a BPA situation Ryan Fitzpatrick was one of the least sacked QBs in the league but Martin is just too good to pass up at this point.
11. KC Chiefs – Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama – Jamaal Charles isn’t an every down back Richardson is a top 5 talent but the RB position is undervalued due to their longevity in the league but having Richardson with Charles would give the Chiefs the best backfield in the league.
12. Seattle Seahawks – Quinton Coples, DE, UNC – Give Red Bryant some credit the giant at 300+ lbs he has done a bang up job but Coples is very talented and will make drastic improvement to the pass rush.
13. Arizona Cards – Luke Kuechly, ILB, Boston College –
14. Dallas Cowboys – Alphonso Dennard, CB, Nebraska – Dennard is very physical and would be a great fit to Rob Ryan’s scheme. I imagine that a trade down situation should happen but I’m not doing trades in this mock.
15. Philadelphia Eagles – Vontaez Burfict, ILB, Arizona St. – Casey Matthews nuf said
16. NY Jets – Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama – The Jets havn’t had much success rushing the QB and at this point Upshaw is likely BPA.
17. Bengals – David DeCastro, G, Stanford – As a whole the Bengals O-Line has been playing well but one of the guards could use an upgrade and lets face it we’re looking at easily BPA on the board.
18. San Diego Chargers – Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina – The Chargers are rumored to let Jackson walk this off season if that happens they will be in need of a #1 WR either Jeffery or Wright would be the guy here.
19. Chicago Bears – Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor – Who ever isn’t a Charger will be a Bear. The WR situation in Chi town is horrid. When Roy Williams is the best your team has to offer you need help.
20. Tenn Titans – Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan St. –
21. Denver Broncos – Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis – Imagine a 325lber taking blocks away from Elvis and Von scary.
22. Bengals (f. Oak) – Devon Still, DT, Penn St – Geno Atkins is great and can get after the QB this move would solidify that D-Line. It was very difficult to choose which DT I wanted at this spot.
23. Browns (f. Atl) – Mohamed Sanu WR Rutgers – Instead of one WR in Jones the Browns bring in two Greg Little has came along well but they need more weapons specially when Robert Griffin is coming into the league. Sanu is the best WR available.
24. Detroit Lions – Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama – Lions two biggest needs at this point are Corner and OL they go BPA and after the humiliation that they got at the hands of Matt Flynn and inevitably at the hands of Drew Brees they decide to spend a high pick on this risky prospect.
25. New York Giants – Daunta Hightower ILB Alabama – I’ve been mocking a LBer to the Giants for years now it is 100% likely that they will ignore it again but Hightower is a very good ILB and should be the pick here.
26. Houston Texans – Nick Toon, WR, Wisconsin – The Texans now have very little holes the secondary is working great they have depth at most positions the only real need is a #2 WR the Texans have at times reached on needs Toon shouldn’t be a first rounder but walking into a season with Andre and a bunch of scrubs is not the best idea.
27. Pittsburgh Steelers – Cordry Glenn, G, Georgia – The steelers need even more O-Line help Glenn should be a good pick here.
28. New England (via Saints) – Vinny Curry, DE/OLB, Marshall – The Pats ignored the pass rush last draft when there were plenty of talented players available but this year Belichick sees the error of his ways getting a beast in Curry.
29. San Francisco – Chase Minnifield CB Virginia – The only weaknesses on the 49ers if you can even call them weaknesses is the QB and the secondary maybe they could use a #2 WR but the first round WRs are long gone by now. So Value dictates that they go CB.
30. New England – Mark Barron, S, Alabama – After the strange cutting of Merryweather the SS position has been a major issue in New England Barron should start right away but I wouldn’t be surprised if this pick was traded… again.
31. Baltimore Ravens – Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina – The addition of Smith was a good start but the Ravens could use more CBs.
32. Green Bey Packers – Alameda Ta’amu DT Washington – Ta’amu did an amazing job in the bowl game and has been a beast all season at worst he is a backup to Raji at best he can slim down and work the DE position.